we help you navigate the process of creating a safe, healthy space.
When I first realized mold was playing a role in my health, I began to wonder why is mold such a prevalent environmental toxin in the first place? I created Awakening Spaces to help you go from overwhelmed and confused about the role your environment plays to feeling educated and safe in your space. We combine our knowledge of interior design and construction with environmental consulting to support you in creating a safe, healthy environment. We believe that your home should never be the source of your problem, but it should be the solution.
CEO, licensed Interior Designer, + Building Biologist
After years of struggling with mysterious health issues, I tested positive for mycotoxins in my system—toxic mold exposure. I had many environmental changes to make if I wanted to heal…I struggled to find the location of the mold source and knowing what resources to turn to in order to remove it safely. Going through the experience of researching and transitioning my own space, I was awakened to a community who was struggling with the same issues I was.
Ashley is licensed by the National Council of Interior Design Qualifications (NCIDQ), LEED general associate (LEED GA), a certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, and is currently certified as a Building Biology Environmental Consultant (BBEC) and Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist (EMRS) and pursuing a New Build Consultant (BBNC) with the International Institute for Building Biology and Ecology (IBE).
During my late college years, I slowly developed an array of chronic uncomfortable symptoms—and didn’t have a clear direction on where to look for answers. My journey led me to expanding on my Interior Design degree by attending the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, where I became a Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and developed a holistic outlook on health. While my studies and new passions brought me to experiment with using food as medicine, my symptoms persisted. I was frustrated, overwhelmed, and exhausted searching for answers.
Eventually I began working with a Functional Diagnostic Practitioner, where I learned I was positive for mycotoxins (mold toxins). Learning this opened my eyes to the way our environment and the products and materials we come in contact with every day can impact our health and build up in our systems over time creating an array of symptoms.
After years of creating a place where I can heal, I learned the detrimental role mold, chemicals, and EMFs can play in our health and how they can hinder the body’s healing process—which is why I now focus so greatly on eliminating these dangers within the home.
Sustainable design wasn’t new to me in my work as an Interior Designer, but everything I knew came crashing down when I learned that “sustainable” doesn’t always mean “healthy.” In fact, there is a big difference between the two.
It became apparent that as a society—as architects, designers, and consumers—our education and knowledge about how each material and system affects our long-term health is minimal at best. Since then, it’s been my mission to change this narrative by increasing awareness and education efforts and helping health-conscious homeowners create spaces that are built and designed with their well-being in mind.
We believe that what goes in your walls is as important as what hangs on your walls.
We’re going to advocate for you buying the right materials for your safety, but we also know that spending $ on insulation isn’t fun, which is why we do the research for you to make sure you feel confident in knowing that you’re cultivating a healthy environment.
Are you ready for your new space to feel…
Download our freebie
Feeling a little panicked that you moved into a new home without realizing the offgassing can contribute to poor health? This guide will equip you with methods and resources to quickly reduce your exposure to the typical chemicals found in newly renovated or newly built conventional homes.